Roofing Materials & ApplicationThe staff at Bland Roofing are experts at building the roof you want. We handle all types of jobs year round and with the exception of metal and tar roofs, we are qualified to handle almost any roofing job. We use high quality weather proofing materials (the topmost or outermost layer of a roof that is exposed to the weather) and proven methods to construct your roof to industry standards.
Types Of Roofing MaterialsThere are many different kinds of weather-proofing materials, and these are just a few of the ones we use:
- Shingles, called shakes in North America. Shingles is the generic term for a roofing material that is in many overlapping sections, regardless of the nature of the material. The word is also used specifically to denote shingles made of wood.
- Slate has a life expectancy of up to 200 years and is one of the most common roofing materials in the world. Slate cleaves into thin sheets, making it much lighter than concrete tiles, though heavier than sheet steel and other light roofcoverings.
- Stone Slab, not to be confused with slate, are heavy stone slabs 1"-2" thick were formerly used as roofing tiles in some regions in England. Stone slabs require a very heavyweight roof structure, but their weight makes them stormproof.
- Ceramic Tile is high in cost, but has a life expectancy of more than 100 years. Fun fact: Imbrex and Tegula, an early form of ceramic tile, has been used for hundreds of years. Examples of these roofing materials have been found on buildings dating back to ancient Greece and Rome.
- Metal Shakes or Shingleshave a long life expectancy and are suitable for roofs of 3/12 pitch or greater. Because of the flexibility of metal, they can be manufactured to lock together, giving durability and reducing assembly time.
- Mechanically Seamed Metal. Long life. High cost, suitable for roofs of low pitch such as 0.5/12 to 3/12 pitch.
- Concrete, usually reinforced with fibres of some sort. Concrete tiles require a stronger roof structure than slate and can be difficult to install, unless you contact us.